Gedding Directory 1844
White's Directory of Suffolk 1844
"GEDDING, a small village and parish, eight miles SE of Bury St Edmund's and W of Stowmarket, contains 173 souls and 501acres 3roods 21perches of fertile land. The HALL, an ancient moated mansion, formerly the seat of the Bokenhams, is now occupied by a farmer, and belongs, with the manor, to TL Ewens, Esq., but a great part of the soil belongs to Mrs Elizabeth Mudd, the executors of the late Isaac Haselwood, Esq., and the executors of the late S Hustler, Esq. The CHURCH is a small fabric, with a tower and two bells, and the benefice is a discharged RECTORY, valued K.B. at £4 13s 4d, and now having a yearly modus of £150, awarded in 1842 in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Edward Pattison, BA, is incumbent, and the Corportation of Bury are patrons; the advowson being given to them many years ago by the will of Jeremiah Catling.
Directory: John Golding, corn mller; Wm Middleton White, surgeon; and John Ennals, Thomas Maidwell, (Hall). Eliz. Mudd, and Wm Wade, farmers."