|AM Home Page
Cockermouth -- About Us -- Our history -- A map to find us
As a result of an increase in numbers at the meeting in Pardshaw, and for the convenience of Friends living in Cockermouth, a meeting house was provided there in 1688. The meeting house was enlarged in 1719 to accommodate quarterly meetings and in 1756 a gallery was provided. This building was demolished in 1782 and a new meeting house was built on the site. It was large enough to take quarterly meetings and had two meeting rooms and seating for 285 Friends. Cloakrooms were added in 1840. The meeting house occupied the full width of the plot in Kirkgate and had a large burial ground behind it.
When this building was about a century old, its state of decay and excessive size became a burden and it was decided to replace it with a new building in 1883. The new building retained parts of the structure of the old one and space was provided at the side for a drive leading to the burial ground. Designed by a local architect, the meeting house was constructed with an Italianate style of street elevation, a high lobby entered by a timber and glass vestibule and roof ridge running across the building.
In 1972 the building was altered to bring its accommodation into scale with present day needs. A second classroom was formed out of part of the lobby and the ceilings of the meeting rooms were lowered.